Thursday, March 31, 2011

New Mexico

We crossed over today into New Mexico on our way to the Carlsbad Caverns.  The forecast calls for sun, but with a whole lot of WIND!  Today we had sustained winds around 15-20 mph and controlling the RV is a bit of a chore.  If the forecast is correct, we may be stuck in Carlsbad an extra night which will mean a mad push through Texas to get to Surfside Beach by Tuesday.  


We've traveled approximately 1600 miles in 8 days--I'm looking forward to the slower pace we have scheduled on the East Coast.  Tomorrow we continue east on I-40 which, in places, is also Historic Route 66.

As we entered NM

The Park- Oops--too lazy to go retake it. 

One of two vintage cars and campers on site

4 comments:

icklepay said...

Thanks for sharing your trip with us - my son will love these car and camper pics! I'm also enjoying watching your map fill up.

How are the kids doing during the driving?

G5 said...

Honestly, the kids are doing better than Keith and I. :)

Carrie said...

I had it in my mind that you were going to be on 1-10 through NM, rather than 1-40.

I-40, between the AZ state border, and oh, say, Albuquerque, can be a difficult drive on a windy day. At times I-40 in that area is closed because the blowing dust causes visibility issues. It's spring there, now, too, so windy days are the rule and not the exception.

I take the wind, along with the sun, for granted. I didn't give it a single thought...It just is.

Wishing you safe travels!

G5 said...

@ Carrie..We changed our minds at the last minute to avoid Phoenix and El Paso. The wind was definitely something!