Saturday, March 5, 2011

A Great Way to Enjoy the Outdoors

Ever hear of Letterboxing?


From Wiki


Letterboxing is an outdoor hobby that combines elements of orienteeringart, and puzzle solving. Letterboxers hide small, weatherproof boxes in publicly-accessible places (like parks)[1] and distribute clues to finding the box in printed catalogs, on one of several web sites, or by word of mouth. Individual letterboxes usually contain a notebook and a rubber stamp.[2] Finders make an imprint of the letterbox's stamp, either on their personal notebook or on a postcard, and leave an impression of their personal stamp on the letterbox's "visitors' book" or "logbook" — as proof of having found the box and letting subsequent letterboxers see who have visited.


The best site to start letterboxing is, hands down, Atlas Quest. I have a neighbor who LOVES to find the stamps--most are handmade and some are incredibly intricate.  I, however, love letterboxing because it brings you places you would n.e.v.e.r go on your own.  Letterboxing takes you down little used trails and even to deserted beaches such as this one at Fort Stevens State Park.....


Deserted in July.  Awesome.


The stamps can be fun too.











I'm hoping we can do some Letterboxing while on our trip.  I think it would be a wonderful keepsake for all of us to have a book filled with stamps from all over the country.  


We'll find paths we never would have gone to, we'll explore new areas and, hopefully, have a lot of fun looking, even if we don't find the stamp!

4 comments:

Kristy said...

That sounds really cool! It's like having a Passport full of stamps, without having to leave the country!

Carrie said...

I've never gone letterboxing, but I was surprised to find out (by visiting the linked site) that it's something I could do relatively close to home!

G5 said...

@Carrie--Letterboxing is a *ton* of fun. Let me know what you think if you try it out!

Hattie said...

I have never done Letterboxing, only geocaching...same idea but you give and get little "treasures". I think I am going to have to take the girls. Have fun, can't wait to see your stamps.