Thursday, March 31, 2011

Grand Canyon, Day 2

The visitors increased (it is still spring break) today and I was surprised at how few people actually walk the rim trail.  We took the shuttle bus to a stop about 2.5 miles out and started to head back along the trail.   The vast majority of people took the bus to a look out point and then boarded a bus to the next one. 

The rim trail isn’t paved where we were, but it’s mostly flat and a very easy walk.  It takes you right to the edge of the canyon and offers some incredible views. We had the trail to ourselves for the vast majority of the walk on both days.  Not bad for spring break.  

I was surprised at how close to the edge the trail took you.  I’m so glad that the kids are older—I cannot imagine I would have a good time if the kids had been younger. 


Day 2, South Rim Walk, 2.5 miles in the other direction.
























I’d love to go back and really spend some time hiking.  What an incredible place.  












4 comments:

DebD said...

It's only 2.5 miles and not many people walk? That is amazing. Yeah, I don't think I'd enjoy the walk with littles either. Much too stressful.

The pictures are beautiful!

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures, my dear.
I can't imagine how stressful it would be with little ones!

Special moments or images that you will hold in your head?

I'd also like to ask for a post now that you are several days into your trip entitled: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

What are you noticing about yourself? Your family? Your bus? What adjustments would you like to make, now that you're out there and actually DOING IT.

G5 said...

Deb--the rim trail varies in length --up to about 6 miles, I think. Anyway--we choose to get off at about 2.5 miles and walk back. I couldn't believe how few people we saw in between shuttle 'stops'. Crazy

Susan--I've had a post of that sort percolating for a bit. :)

Carrie said...

The lack of railings surprised me, too, when we went. Maybe it shouldn't have, if I had thought it through, but it did!