Monday, April 25, 2011

More Musings


More Musings….

*If I were to do this again, I would either shorten or lengthen the trip.  All the way across the country and back in 8 ½ weeks was a bit ambitious.  We are only 4 weeks in and I’m t.i.r.e.d.  Driving days are stressful and non driving days are FULL.   Shorter, closer to home trips or 4 months across the country would be preferable to the whirlwind tour we are doing.  I think.

*I wish there was a better system for navigation.  I have to double and triple check the GPS route against my atlas and bing and google just to ensure that our route is accurate.  I also wish I had a GPS that would tell you what lane to be in.  There’s nothing worse than trying to change lanes quickly in an RV.   

*I really, really enjoy visiting places that differ from what I'm use to.  Heck, I even love checking out the aisles in WalMart for all the different, local offerings.  I love trying new food and interacting with people who are part of a different regional culture than I am.  

*I think the next vacation (er, adventure) I embark on, I'll fly.  ;)

7 comments:

Rory L. Aronsky said...

Heck, I even love checking out the aisles in WalMart for all the different, local offerings.

When my family (parents and little sister) and I moved cross-country from Florida to California, we stopped in Alabama, and I didn't see this, but my sister loved it: A mother and daughter were walking the aisles of some store and the daughter asks the mother, "Mama, can I have a babydoll?" And she said "baby doll" as one word.

Plus, I also love the accents I hear throughout the country. In Texas, at a supermarket, there was the twang.

My biggest regret in that trip was not being able to visit New Orleans, since we had two dogs and a bird in the car with us and couldn't make that kind of detour. This was August 2003, pre-Katrina, so that would have been quite an opportunity.

Heidi’sbooks said...

Probably the mileage is the key to the weariness. So, you're in VA??? I'm in VA. I hope you enjoy your stay. Where are going? DC next?

DebD said...

Ya know, I really dislike the GPS. Do not trust it for DC!

My husband tends to be the kind of person who has a need to fill up every waking moment on a trip- whereas I'm a leisurely stroll type of person. It's exhausting for me sometimes, so I can understand your feelings.

Unknown said...

I love reading your honest reflections on what you'd do differently, Babe. And, I love reading about the trip, in general.

Hang in there.

About halfway, now, yes?

icklepay said...

I like to read your musings. You seem very much like me with this post.

Do you think the rest of the family would agree with your thoughts? My DH would probably like jam-packed days.

G5 said...

@Rory--I would have loved to stop in NOLA and I loved the TX twang. It made me smile. :)

@Heidi--we are in MD for a few days. We went to theB&O Railroad Museum and Fort McHenry today--we visit DC tomorrow!

@Deb--we are visiting my friend here in MD and she is driving us to the train station tomorrow and we will visit DC on foot. No driving! :)

@Susan--yup, about halfway. Our next stop is for a week in PA to visit Keith's family. We may hit Philly (there is a problem we have to fix with the car first, sigh) and we are going to see the Statue of Liberty, but that's it. It'll be nice to stay put for bit.

@ickle--yes, I think everyone would agree. We aren't normally high energy people. ;)

Pezimaniac said...

I just discovered your blog. I don't remember how I found it, but since I recognize your picture it was probably from a Sonlight Forums sig link. Anyway, I have a dream of taking a cross-country RV trip, too. My goal is 2013. My sons even talk about it. I have started reading your blog from the beginning and also now "follow" it. Thank you for writing it. I hope to learn a lot from you!

Nancy (Pezimaniac)