Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Hmm, Irrational Anger and Disappointment.

After our harrowing day driving through some rough wind yesterday, today's drive seemed a piece of cake --low winds, fairly decent roads and a nice, sunny drive through San Antonio and the west side of Houston.

We pull into the RV park at about 4:00. As we get ready to pull into the spot I'd reserved (and paid for) a month ago--number 9--we notice that someone is already in spot number 9.

My paperwork was found and I was assured that yes, they would tell spot number 9 to move.  All seemed well.

It was not to be.  As I came back from checking out the beach, I was asked if I was ready to park in spot number 12.  Yes, number 12 is shorter, but you can still see the water.  No, I say, I'm ready to park in number 9, only to be told that management was NOT going to ask number 9 to move--after all, number 12 is comparable and offers the same view.

I became completely and totally irrationally angry and upset.  To the point of almost crying, upset.  Why?  I'm normally pretty easy going, go with the flow kind of gal, but I just could not shake my intense anger and disappointment.  I knew I was being irrational, so I asked Keith to handle things.  

I've had all evening to contemplate (and a late night walk on the beach) and I think I might have it figured out.

As I was planning our adventure, I knew I wanted to stay on the Gulf as close to the water as possible.   I was so excited to spend a couple of days right on the water, viewing the ocean as I stepped out the RV door.   As we drove through snow and construction in Utah, I thought about--spot number 9.  As we froze changing the air filter, I thought about-- spot number 9. When the trailer came off the hitch, I thought about-- spot number 9.  When the winds were blowing us off the road, I thought about-- spot number 9.  When the kids were whiney, I thought about-- spot number 9.  I thought about spot number 9 a lot.  I was really excited about spot number 9.


It would appear that I had an unhealthy attachment to spot number 9. 

Silly, really,  because spot number 12 has a better view.

The view from the door of the RV

The sunset (and the RV that is in spot number 9)


9 comments:

BETHANY said...

I've never been irrational or angry. What's that like? ;)

Glad spot 12 turned out to be a good one!

icklepay said...

I think I'd do the same thing. It's been a long journey.

Glad you're settled now!

Bob and Cheri said...

You need some girlfriend to fly on out for a glass of wine. :)

Heidi’sbooks said...

I hope it doesn't ruin your day. What a beautiful view!

The Hayes Zoo said...

Oh Thea....

BTDT with my own 'spot number 9'. I hope you're able to enjoy the other spot and still reap benefits.

I'm utterly impressed that you passed on the handling of said situation before you went all emotional and irrational on the staff. I'll have to remember that trick....

(Although I'm wondering why the heck they didn't have the other RV move - if you'd already paid for spot #9 that far in advance????)

Robin said...

My inner Beatle was smiling at your "Number Nine Dream" :)
I'm glad #12 has turned out to be just fine. I can relate to getting all bent out of shape over something similar.

G5 said...

I hear you Faith. I'm still a little not happy and if I had let my inner postal go, I bet I'd be in spot number nine. ;)

Unknown said...

Oh, wow. Stuff like that is just the PITS. I hate injustice. I hate dashed expectations.

I do, however, love your button!

G5 said...

I like the button too. :)